Sunday, November 2, 2008

entitled

So, I admit, I really enjoy reading blogs. Not just those of my friends who keep them, but others as well. Folks I don't know, who write well about politics, the environment, art and home. But like everything, all in good measure, or I end up for too long in front of a screen when I really want to be in front of a book, or good food, or Iris' barrage of 2-year old questions.

I got stuck right away in the first blank. "Name your blog". Yikes, like something meaningful? A few words to represent it all? I started jotting big ideas
. I've always kind of liked the idea of naming our "farm", something with the word "gulch" in it. "Two Toad Gulch" has a certain ring to it, but I can never convince Andy and he wasn't buying it for the blog either. I was searching for something to encompass our eagerness and commitment to slow life down, be quiet, grow more food, chop more wood, buy less stuff...be here now. I enlisted Andy's help and still the right word(s) escaped us, they either felt too dull or too pretentious. He said, let's just think of something simple that represents our everyday life. I said, (joking) like the possum in the mulch pile? And he said, yeah, who can't relate (in some metaphorical way at least) to the everydayness of "possum in the compost"? There it is again, little gray critter. Persistent, determined, throwing things out of the bin for you to fork back in later. A reminder that life isn't all in our control. Perfect.

Welcome to "Possum in the Compost". It feels like a better way to keep you posted. You can bookmark our site and visit when you wish, or not at all. We can give up the 20 photo email extravaganza every six months and maybe stay a l
ittle more current. Truly though, this endeavor is as much for our family as anything. A digital journal, of sorts, to focus on the positive little things that each day, or week, give us pause, encouragement and momentum. I hope it helps us to remember how sweet it is.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Hi Jonel & Andy! Thanks for the Blog - the first blog I've ever read! I thought I joined the masses when I joined Facebook recently, but I must admit having a blog seems even more daunting. You've made it look simple and fun. I look forward to "following" it and staying in better touch. I think often about visiting again....
Much love to all ~ mary

Tricia and John said...

Yeah - welcome to the blogging world! I love the name and agree how intimidating it was to try to name the happenings in our family. Hope to see you soon!
Trish & family