Wednesday, December 17, 2008

projects

Tis the season for projects, handmade for the holidays (of course we can't post those pictures!), or of other household sorts....

We think the root cellar is officially finished! The final touch, these beautiful handmade hinges and latch forged by our friend Robert. His business is Metamorphosis Forge and we'd highly recommend him!


The ongoing snow person project. This one melted the day after we built it, but we've since received 4 inches fresh with more on the way.

There are hordes (literally- we feel a bit like squirrels) of shell beans stashed away in corners of our home waiting for quite winter evenings and eager hands to shell them. We grew an abundance this year and luckily Iris thinks they are lovely! These are our favorites, an heirloom variety called Hidatsa Shield. You can order them from Seed Savers Exchange www.seedsavers.org


Happy midweek.

3 comments:

Mary said...

Hey Jonel and crew! Happy wonderful holidays to you. We are getting lots of snow too - love it. My cold storage room isn't nearly as beautiful (and full, I'm sure) as your root cellar but it means a lot to have some food stocked away. My beans didn't do so well this year though, so if you want to send some of those lovely jewels my way, feel free! :-) Much love and happiness to the three of you (and all the furry ones too). Love, Mary

Debbie Pavick said...

those hinges ARE lovely! in fact, the whole root cellar is.
congratulations on the one to welcome in May and happy holidays!

peace,
Deb, Joe, Alex and Basker

Erika said...

Hi Jonel and Andy and Iris and dog gang! Your blog is overwhelming for me--seriously, I feel like such a guilty consumer of sorts!
Jonel--love the way it's written and the name cracks me up. I do not relate to having a possum in the compost, but I still think the name is great.
Iris is beautiful and getting so big. And really, do you eat all those beans?!?!
Happy holidays and now I will feel like I can "snoop" on you! Love, Erika