So, I just sat down to post a bit about our obsession with all the spring sprouting around here. And then, I kid you not, a BIG BADGER strolled right past the window as I was writing! I've only seen a badger one other time in Wisconsin, they are very secretive critters. Talk about exciting! I got the binoculars on him right away, because I doubted my eyes in the dusky light, but sure enough, he/she turned back to look behind him and there is just NO mistaking that broad white stripe. It was holding a large mole/vole/rodent in its mouth and quickly headed out into the pasture and up over the hill. So, now the spring blooms seem to pale a bit in comparison, but my instinct is still to grab the binoculars instead of the camera, so no photo. You'll just have to take my word.
Wildlife has been in abundance these days, we've really had to keep the dogs at bay. One lone Coyote makes an appearance on the hills around our house frequently. Lily chased it off one night, only to have it turn back (after we had called her off) and sprawl out comfortably under a pasture apple tree to watch us. Red fox, is out most mornings, of late, digging for worms and pouncing stuff in the pasture and often coming down to the horse shelter to eat a few horse apples. Male Pheasant and Turkey's have been stalking around the garden and compost pile. And now the Badger, what's next!? Maybe we'll be lucky enough to catch some of these critters on camera soon. In the meantime, here are the "captive" critters we've been finding.

Lovely Elderberry, about to open.

Mayapple and some kind of "fairy toadstool" (obviously).

Sandhill crane over the vista.

Puddlestomper.
We're thinking there will be more excitement to post soon. Happy spring.
2 comments:
Badger! What a sight. What a surprise, and to see it with something it caught. Very big excitement. Your little stream Iris is so pretty. I hope I'm not obsessively checking your blog for other news.
How fun is that?! Crazy.... Lila would love to see the fox. She's decided that's her favorite animal. However, turtles are still high on the list. :)
Mary gave us an update on Saturday. I hope all is going well for you! We wait with baited breath....
Post a Comment