Tuesday, August 25, 2009

the next chapter

Since before I was even pregnant the first time Andy and I have had many conversations about how we'd like to raise our kids (for example that they will LOVE to eat beets and garbonzo beans, not necessarily together- we're good to go on the beets (seriously!), strike one on the garbonzo's) . First on our personal parenting dream list (and I realize it's different for everyone so I'm not suggesting we've got it right, in fact we may be completely insane) was being the full time caretakers of said children. This year we embark on that dream to see if we can survive it. Yesterday WOULD have been Andy's first day back at his teaching job, but he has opted instead to stay home this year and be a full-time dad. WHOA. I can't tell you how excited I am! (I try not to say "house husband" out loud).
I started back to work almost 4 weeks ago now, and they seem to be doing REALLY well. Each morning when I leave (I'm working 3 days/week in the office) and the baby is fussing and Iris is upset because he used the wrong sippy cup for her orange juice, I'm overcome with guilt and always ask, "are you sure you're going to be o.k.?" (Not because I think he won't be, I know he will, but because if it was him walking out the door and me dealing with the orange juice I'd be saying "DON'T LEAVE ME!") But he always says "we're fine, get going, have a good day" and then he smiles, for real. This is why he's staying home (and also why I married him, although I had no idea how awesome his dad skills were at the time).
So, yesterday, to celebrate his first day not back at work, we loaded up the car and headed to the lake. His new bike was on the back of the car and he got in a pretty nice ride - SOLO. Then some kayaking, hanging in the shade, and dinner on the deck. It was a good day not at work.

In addition to more time with our kids and as a family, we are hoping to step a bit further into this self-made life. So, right on cue the chickens FINALLY laid some eggs and tonight we had vegetable fritters for dinner with our own vegetables and eggs! O.k. so, Iris wouldn't eat them, but we're still dreaming big.

Hope you are keeping yours alive.

No comments: