We often have little lists cluttering counters that remind us of things that we want to keep an eye out for at the thrift store. In past years we have stepped up our effort to buy "used" and now about 90% of our clothing and shoes come from second hand stores (that includes my clothes for work--there are so many very nice, in perfect condition clothes out there! Don't worry, we still buy our underwear new, I know you're wondering!) Most of our furniture, books, toys and much of our kitchenware has been scored at thrift or antique stores. Andy can often find good tools used and recently found a very nice pair of Redwing work boots that will just do the trick. It all takes a bit of time and perseverance but patience usually pays off (truly at a fraction of the new price too). With local internet bulletin boards, craiglist, freecycle and the like a person can find just about anything she needs used and that creates less demand for the manufacturing of new stuff while keeping old stuff out of the landfill.
Thrifters beware: one can still accumulate lots of un-needed stuff by shopping at second-hand stores where it is easy to fall prey to the little voice inside your head saying "I don't really need this, but it's so inexpensive and besides it's used". Believe me I know.
If we can't find it used, we often have had enough time to reassess and sometimes find we don't need whatever it was afterall! And with all that money saved, we can make sure that when we do need to purchase something new, we can spend a few extra dollars to truly buy quality that will last.
I must admit I'm also intrigued by the history of these things found used. Our lovely kitchen table has likely hosted many, many meals before ours. I like to run my fingers over the small scratches and dings and picture another family gathered round it enjoying each others company or squabbling over the last pancake, as the case may be. I dare say these used things have just a bit more life.
So here's to finding used treasures when you need them and buying just a little less all around. Do send along your thrifted favorites, it's always fun to see what others find! Good luck.
No comments:
Post a Comment