Monday, June 13, 2011

a gift of art

I was privileged to know Andy's grandma for several years. My first impression of her (which stuck with me ever after) was that she was a firecracker. A woman with spunk, who told great stories, knew what she liked, held the attention of a room and had great style. Educated at the University of MN with a degree in home economics this lady seemed (at least when I knew her in her 80's) full of opinion, vigor and talent. Not exactly my idea of a textbook 50's homemaker! On top of all that she was a talented artist who held her own in a city full of artists. I'll never forget having breakfast at a trendy twin cities cafe with Andy in our early years. He had brought me there to see his grandma's artwork covering the walls of this hip greasy spoon. She was a dedicated teacher with many dedicated students and she taught and painted right up til the end. I loved the tours of her basement studio, her thoughtful critiques of her students work, the stories of her own paintings. Oil was her main medium, but in her later years she played around with watercolor.

One day when we were visiting she gifted us with a piece she had just finished. A cheerful painting that reminded me of summer and somehow of her. The stark white daisies the color of her hair, the sharp little teacups, proper yet full of life. Recently Andy framed it for me with a butternut wood frame he made for my birthday years ago.

And with his blessing it has gone to hang in my little studio space. I love it there, the colors unintentionally perfect in that space I painted blue. I like to think she'd like it there too. That she'd share in my excitement and joy in having a little space all my own. I like to think she's pushing me in that gentle but forthright way of hers to get busy and create.




No comments: