Every day I remind myself that she is her surroundings and her surroundings are us. We are the models for so much of what she will become. We reap what we sow, right?
Almost always I remind myself this in her not so shiny moments, when I am steeped in guilt for my tone of voice, or my harsh impatience and see it reflecting back at me. It's a good reminder, I guess. I read somewhere once that a parent should work to ensure that everything that comes out of their mouth is true, kind and necessary. I've got a way to go on all three counts.
But tonight, after a weekend full of normal ups and downs, I wanted to remember that this girl is not only growing into such an amazing, beautiful person; she is also helping me grow, in ways that are more challenging than I ever imagined. I'm thankful for that. And in addition to taking credit for many of her darker moments, we should celebrate ourselves in some of her beauty.
No comments:
Post a Comment