Sunday, January 13, 2013

winter work

The girls and I got Andy a spoon carving knife for Christmas from this great little outfit in MN, Pinewood Forge.  When I called them in early December to order they told me they were running behind, orders were up, and they-meaning the owner-makes each knife by hand!  They told me they'd do their best, and I was happily surprised when the knife landed on our doorstep a few days before Christmas.  It's really a beautiful knife (I know you can't see it in the pictures) but if you are interested you can see it here, it's the 1 3/4" hook knife.
Andy has been fishing around for a winter time craft for a couple of years.  He's done a bit of birch bark work, tried his hand at a willow basket, and politely declined my invitations to help him learn to knit.  Even though there is plenty of manly inspiration out there. But it looks like he's on to something now.  I can see that this spoon carving thing is a little addictive.  There have been nights when I pad off to bed only to listen to the gentle scratch, scratch, scratch of the knife as the fine chips pile up next to the fire. 
We're settling into winter around here.  Now for some more snow please! 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The spoons look great, Andy! Keep up the good work.
I'm glad you got a knife from Del Stubbs.
Terry