If you plant swiss chard (and you should), you likely have loads of it right now. While chard is not my go-to garden green for steaming or sauteing (although Andy loves it that way), it is one of my very favorite summer soup vegetables. I've been eating this soup since I was a kid. I'm sure my mom has a recipe somewhere...but I'm guessing I've adapted it some along the way. Here's the easy-peasy, yummy recipe (and if you don't have any chard, I'm sure someone you know has more than they need!).
Summertime Swiss Chard Soup
6-8 big stalks of chard (more if your chard is little), chopped-both stems and leaves
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
5-6 medium to large ripe tomatoes, chopped
salt and pepper
3-4 cups water
In large soup pot, saute the garlic and onion and chopped stalks of the chard in olive oil until slightly softened. (The stalks are my favorite in the soup, don't discard big fat ones, they are super yummy, and tender--the more stalk the better I think. I just chop them into one inch (or so) pieces).
Add chard leaves to pot, cover (stirring occasionally) until wilted. Add chopped tomato, 2-4 cups water and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 45 minutes or longer. Serve over noodles, white beans or just plain. We love to garnish ours with parmesan cheese.
I totally meant to take a picture of the finish product, but it was so yummy we just dug right in. You will too!
Happy Monday all!

1 comment:
You nailed the recipe, it has always been so simple.
Post a Comment