But some days, some days, you can't imagine what life will be like without someone needing you. All. the. time. When it's like this: One of them finally gets settled into something while you help her sister start a project. As soon as you get her going on that project, the other can't find what she is looking for. You help find it, and then the other needs you to go to the bathroom with her, and after you do that, the other one has decided she really wants to take you up on your earlier offer to read a book and is done with her project. You read the book, and then the other can't get her snow pants on (she abandoned her project before the trip to the bathroom), but right then the other really needs a snack...you get the idea. And I didn't even talk about whining or meltdown, because our kids don't do that. Yeah, right.
Sometimes you're not sure where your children leave off and you begin.
Sometimes you miss knowing yourself.
But then, you watch them go. And you remember that feeling of doing it on your own. Of feeling big, and capable and really, well, BIG. Because big is what they are always reaching for.
You're not always up for it. (And that's o.k. you're told) But you always go back to it. Because it's your job right now and you love them so.
And you know that before long they won't need to hold your hand anymore.



1 comment:
Hey Jonel,
My kids are a several years further along than yours. Some days, in-between all their slightly more grown-up versions of the requests for help that you list, I'll hear one of them say "I don't need your help, dad." And I console myself that it is a necessary step toward independence on their part. But even more comforting, I think, is the realization that their requests for help or guidance won't end when they are 18 or 21; that our years of giving and open communication have forged a bond strong enough that I can fairly depend on them to desire my company--and perhaps even my fatherly advice!--well beyond the time that society calls them adults and they have fledged from their childhood nest.
BTW, skiing looks good there!
Peace,
Chris
Post a Comment