We went to Mayo again last week. We spoke to a surgeon there who believes he can remove tumors from Andy's left lung safely and well. Tumors would remain in the right lung but the material from the left lung could be sent off for genetic analysis in hopes of finding a clinical trial for Andy. Many subtle options were given as to when the surgery can happen, how it should happen, if it should happen and we are trying to sort it all out. We'll meet with the oncologist at Mayo in a couple of weeks and try to make some final decisions. In the meantime Andy camps out under clear winter skies with a close friend, carves to his heart's content, enchants the kids with studies of Greek mythology and teaches skiing to a pack of them each Thursday.
And I find myself strangely settled. Fear and worry have found a place that doesn't ride front and center. I remember the rawness with a kind of gratitude that can come in the slowness of time unfolding. I can know that the future is as uncertain as ever. But I can be here now. I guess that's something I've always wanted.

2 comments:
Reading your words always gives me goosebumps. Your words center me. Bring me back to my little world where worry is not a centerpiece... and give me renewed gratitude. How easy it is to forget to be present, to forget that we are incredibly lucky to not live with worry, uncertainty and the fear of losing someone we love so much. My heart is with you, Janel.
Jonel, just know I'm thinking about you and Andy and I am impressed with your decision to stay centered right now. I know you and Andy will make the best decision for your his newest treatments. I'm sending prayers for your family.
Post a Comment