Monday, July 27, 2009

more adventures in farming

Last week our neighbors cut, raked and baled hay on our land. It was pretty exciting. Lots of big tractor action around here. (That's Barry on the little tractor doing square bales, I didn't get a photo of Jody on the BIG tractor doing big round bales). Iris was totally into being a farm kid and cheered each time she saw the tractor kick out a hay bale (that's my girl). She did, however, refuse a ride from Jody on the BIG tractor. I don't blame her, they are both a little intimidating. Barry puts his cattle on our pasture in the summer, so we traded his labor doing our hay for a cut in his pasture rent. What a deal!


Andy and Iris put the bales up in our new (still unfinished-but making progress) barn. Hay, we have a hay mow! (I'm all over the bad puns lately, I'll try to lay off...speaking of which)

I keep forgetting to report that we've boosted our flock. Yes, three ladies, Rhode Island Red's to be exact, now live with our two Barred Rock. Oh, and those Barred Rock, which are supposed to be such great layers appear to be a bit confused. They have begun to grow long rooster-like tail feathers, fight with one another and seem to be practicing distinct rooster crowing. Ahem. (thanks, dad) Good thing we have some friends looking for a rooster or two!

All the chickens, including the roosters are quite tame and when the dogs are in the house, the chickens love to come out and follow us around as we do our gardening jobs. This day they helped pull out all the new pea seeds as soon as they went in the ground. (Garlic harvest too!)

This adventure just gets better by the day! Hope you are having fun on yours.

P.S. Several days after writing the last post I woke up in the middle of the night (this is how my mind works) with the revelation that I had used the wrong spelling for currant (it's since been corrected). Thanks to those of you who noticed but were polite enough not to point it out. But, don't do it again =)

No comments: