Wednesday, September 16, 2009

red

Whew, I think we might have made it. These last few weeks of BEAUTIFUL weather have brought on the tomatoes. Just when we were worrying (understatement) we might get frost before they ripened fully. Now, in some ways this has been a fabulous gardening year for us...cool weather crops LOVED it, and we've got plenty of broccoli and brussel sprouts and kale to prove it. But those fine Mediterranean crops weren't so happy to have their roots in Wisconsin this year. Peppers: none, eggplants: none, cucumbers: not nearly enough to get my fix, tomatoes: please keep coming! We don't kid around about tomatoes in this house. Last year we put up 42 quarts of whole tomatoes, 13 pints and 17 half pints salsa, 3 quarts and 11 pints of tomato sauce, and 15 quarts of sauce in the freezer. I think Elsa is half tomato.

Because of the cool weather and some late blight we won't have the tomato glut and long hot days over the canner we always hope for. But we are putting them away as fast as they come on, we'll report later if the pantry looks as stout as it did last year.

Now the raspberries, they still might delight us with a heavy harvest. We hope to have plenty of red in the freezer one way or another.

2 comments:

Carin said...

So yummy!

Can you tell me how you make your salsa? We have some tomatoes finally getting red. I'm trying to pluck them before the bugs/slugs get to them, but I've lost a few to feeding the wildlife, too. There will be quite a few if they all stay good! I don't want to waste them.

Mary said...

Hey Jonel ~~ I've been spending portions of every single day dealing with food too - and lately almost exclusively with tomatoes. I running out of ideas and have been thinking I should make whole meals to freeze. A list of the things you are doing or any meal ideas would be great!
We've had very hot weather almost all summer long and it's a bumper tomato year, but gophers got almost all our peppers. We didn't plant eggplant (will correct that next year!), and for some reason haven't gotten many cucs (but I pickled enough last year to last 2 years). Corn has been a big hit this year too. I'm up to my ears (ha, ha) in produce and loving it despite the lack of relaxation. If you have a moment, send any recipes or ideas! Hope to see you later this Fall. Love, Mary