Wednesday, May 26, 2010

getting to work

Last week I finished a new book that I can't stop thinking about. Quite frankly I'm a bit obsessed with it. I think maybe we all should be. So, I want to tell you about it. Then I'll ask you, implore you, really, to read it.

It's called Eaarth: Making a Life on a Tough New Planet by Bill McKibben. It's right over there on the sidebar. I've read his stuff before; he's good. This book is by far his most important work, in my opinion. Don't get too caught up in the title (I think it's a bit distracting), just put your name on the list for it at your library, or go to your locally owned bookshop and buy it.

This isn't a book for environmentalists or scientists, it's written, quiet clearly, for all of us. I think especially for those of us who are parents. Here's the deal: it will be hard to read. Not because it has lots of jargon or big words or deep ideas. It's hard because it's scary, it's heartbreaking and you'll know he's nailed it. I imagine your eyes will glaze a little in the first two chapters with some of the research quotes and statistics (mine did), and your heart will be beating its way into your throat and your palms will be sweaty, oh, and you'll probably be really pissed off. But KEEP READING. His last two chapters (there are only 4) are where it's at.

This isn't a book about giving in to hopelessness or even proving a point. This is a book about getting to work; about what needs to be done and how to do it. We've done this kind of huge work before; think the end of slavery, woman's rights, the creation of our national parks, heck, think seat belts and speed limits and BPA-free baby bottles. We finally elected a black president for crying out loud. We've done some pretty important things against some pretty big tides.

The fact is we're going to be facing some serious changes in our world in our lifetime and they aren't going to be pretty. We are seeing them already; think Katrina and Australia's drought and the fires in California and two devastating "100 year" floods in my county in one year. Our planet it changing, but McKibben thinks we can staunch the flow, maybe weather the tide. So, as the water rises (quite literally) it's truly time for us to roll up our sleeves and start making changes. Real changes, big changes, personal changes. The kind of change you have control over. We need to let go of "But, I'm just one person, what difference can I possibly make?" It all matters, we all need to make change. And it really can't wait a minute longer. So I'm gonna get busy. I'm hanging my hope on all of us getting busy.

When you read his last two chapters you'll get the idea about the kinds of transformation we need. And truly it's not all bad. It's really not bad at all. But it is going to require some serious lifestyle modifications. Some slowing down, buying less, needing less, keeping it local. It doesn't need to be about painful sacrifice, just re-learning that we can desire time and family and quiet instead of things we buy at the store. It won't be easy, like just switching out the light bulbs (but do that too). But with this change will come less stress, more community, more self-reliance and skill and more time. Gosh, we could all use that. Anyway, those aren't exactly his words, but that's how I'm going to read it. There's more, bigger ideas than I'll get into here. You'll read it and see.

So Andy is reading it now and we are talking. We're talking about getting to work. What are we already doing? What more can we do to reduce our carbon footprint and live better, more simple lives? One look around our local community and there is so much inspiration, neighbors with much lighter footprints than ours, ready to share their skills and knowledge. One look around the virtual community and you could be inspired for life. We are so ready to join this movement!

So, in this spirit I hope to use this space in the weeks to come to talk (and dream) about some of the lifestyle changes we've made (and hope to make) as our commitment to bringing change. Please know this isn't about what we are doing right (we are SO learning as we go, and we certainly aren't doing anything that hasn't been done before). I really hope this is about sharing resources and learning from one another. I hope it's about community and friendships and inspiring one another. So, send you ideas, I'll post (or link to) your inspiration as well.

We're in this together. The time is now.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Great post Jonel, as usual. You are an inspiration to me as I (and Merle) try to do what you talk about in this post. I haven't read Bill's latest book, and I admit I usually feel more frustration and hopelessness in the human race than positive thoughts but I haven't completely given up yet. I can't. We can't. Not giving up is often the only thing that keeps me going when I think about all the horrible things that are happening, that "we" are doing. Anyway, I'll get the book. I've read many like it already but I'll read it. And, more importantly, I continue to try to "reduce my footprint" and learn to live sustainably, happily, by my own hands and with good company. If you haven't heard of Transition Towns, you might be interested in it. http://www.transitionus.org/ There is a movement in my community to create a "transition town" here.
Keep working. Keep loving!
Love, m

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I'm going to read it but my heart is racing already.