Sunday, September 26, 2010

four

Iris turned four this week. Four. I'm still letting it settle in. When she woke up on her birthday she stood up in her bed and asked if she looked taller. Yes, definitely. Then today she used the word "situated" and told a long-winded story about some guy "dusting off his chaps". I've been known to think about things too much...but gosh somehow "four" really does seem older!

We celebrated all week with Grampy and Nonna and Nina and Poppy and several friends. There was lots of joy and so much to be thankful for.


We started two new traditions this year. I wrote a birthday story, which tells of Iris' birth day and the joy of having her join our family. It also celebrates special things from each year of her life (in chronological order). Each year we'll add a new paragraph highlighting the wonderful things from the year just past. I read it to her over birthday french toast.

We also decided that papa would give each girl a special book for her birthday with a meaningful inscription written inside. (I'll give each girl a special book, with something written inside at Christmas). In years to come they will have a shelf (or pile!) of age appropriate books with snapshots of our love written inside.


Many lovely gifts from many thoughtful people. A big girl peddle bike!


Cake and ice cream and friends.

And there she goes... So full of determination and strength and the most nurturing spirit we know. We are so lucky to have this girl keeping us on our toes.

Happy fourth birthday, sweet Iris.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

She is the imp of my heart!

Mary said...

Happy Birthday Iris! Four is for fun!

I spent yesterday at Disney World with Aunt Jane, Jenn, Todd and Sara Beth (turned 7 Sept 30th on her first day at Disney). Oh, what a trip!

Love to you all, mary