Monday, November 22, 2010

thankful


In my twenties I spent long hours, long days, sometimes long months immersed in nature. I was working then, studying geese, and red-throated loons and little lovely seagulls in places like Alaska and Mexico. While spending months in remote field camps there often wasn't a whole lot to do other than make a pastime of observation. And so I did. I studied the way the clouds crossed the sky when the wind blew in from the north, I knew what time of day it was from the length of my shadow as I walked long hours on the tundra, I could guess what flushed the flock of geese from the way they pushed themselves into the air. Over and over I returned to these experiences of deep nature because I just could not get enough.

It's been 10 years since I last unpacked my backpack from a field adventure. In this full life now I have to work to find stolen moments to soak up nature's grace. These moments, behind my lens, crouched at the water's edge watching the light move are also a gift. Memories of the color of tundra as the sun sinks lower but never out of sight. The reminder of stillness. Excitement for what discovery still lies ahead.

Thankfulness for this one life, in all this wonder.

May you find a memory or a moment this week for giving thanks.