Every once in awhile someone mentions how positive this blog is, indicating that our life must be very blessed (it is). (Or perhaps indicating that a little more reality would be better reading - hi dad). But I assure you that the positive nature of this blog is
very intentional. I have been purposeful about that from the
very start.
I
work at focusing on the beautiful moments in this life. Those of you who know me well know that cynicism and negativity can ride around on my shoulders and come out my mouth more often that I wish. So, like much in life, this blog, these little moments of reflecting and writing, are a practice. I love that at the end of a grumpy day (that happens to be "blogging day") I have to exercise my will to not wallow but celebrate. It's not that hard, but it takes some effort.
Sometimes I slip. But in the end it is an exercise that is good for me and good for this family.
But tonight (at dad's request) I bring you the (depressing) Great Sunflower Massacre.


Something a little like Irene rolled through here on Friday morning. Sixty mile an hour winds, even for just the briefest time, will do all sorts of wonders (blow the patio furniture off the patio, take the (empty) swimming pool 200 feet to the middle of the sheep paddock, bring down all kinds of limbs and trees in the forest and
destroy your sunflowers.) O.k. so perhaps I was just a tad too pleased with those sunflowers
last week. But seriously,
all of them?


We stomped some of them back into the ground (which turns out to have been futile) and we harvested a wheelbarrow full of heads (premature as they are) to try drying. And I huffed a bit. I complained a tad. I was a wee bit grumpy (again about something I could not control!).


But then....


we brought them inside by the armful and they were so lovely. (there it is again- this practice must be working!)



And then we went back outside and sat in some puddles and felt much better about that darn "tunder storm".
Happy Monday everyone.
1 comment:
I am most repentant for the "reality" comment. Although any reality (TGSM)that leads to sitting in puddles has to be good.
Grumpy Grampy
Post a Comment