Monday, January 2, 2012

everyday resolutions





I lost my voice for a couple of days last week. Iris and Elsa were sure the fairies had run off with it and hidden it in the woods. We even went looking. But I'm pretty sure it was just a cold that settled in my chest.

Like many unexpected things, this inability to speak anything other than whispers, brought with it valuable lessons.
Number one (of course): speaking less, listening more is always good, always.
Number two: your children listen harder (read: better) when you speak to them in whispers. Whispers are engaging, interesting, intriguing. Try it!
Number three: When you are angry and have no voice, you can't raise it. This is good. This is good for you, and good for your children. They respond better to whispers (see number two) even when you are angry. It's hard to be really unkind with a whisper.

In thinking about this lesson today, and about this new year, I resolved (again) (each year, each day), to talk less and listen more. Model patience, love and kindness to my children. And to work harder at bringing the positive to my thoughts. I think these everyday resolutions give us traction. After all we are what we think.

Oh 2012, may you be full of joy, adventure, meaningful work, patience, love and healing. For all of us.

Nina and Poppy and the whole Gorrill clan, thank you for hosting us (pending illness or not). We always love our time with you. These girls will be talking about it for weeks!

No comments: