Somehow, for a few days we didn't realize he was gone. Then one morning Elsa woke up and the first thing she said was "I looked for Rang on his shelf and he wasn't there". As soon as she said it I knew it was true. I came upstairs and he wasn't on his shelf. He wasn't anywhere. For the first day I looked without too much vigor, assuming he would show up as most things do. Luckily no one was losing it over his disappearance (except me). By the second day I was making phone calls to any place we'd been in the last week. The food co-op, the dentist, the thrift store....it wasn't looking good. I broke the news to my mom and she voiced what I was already thinking (now brace yourself): "what if Rang is lying somewhere in the dirt and missing us?" Agony. Now I couldn't get him out of my head and I was definitely driving Andy crazy (mind you I was doing my obsessing out of ear shot of the girls, the last thing I needed was them to catch the fervor). So, after a couple more days of staying up late and running (just one more time) over every place we'd been in the last week trying to reconstruct where we left Rang, I decided to take a shot at listing him as missing. No, not with the police (I might have if that was an option), but on our local internet bulletin board. I knew this was a long shot because that bulletin board service is located in a town about 45 minutes away, read by a pretty select few and the kind of thing most people just delete out of their mailbox without reading.
Lost: One beloved orange Orangutan, about 8" tall.
It was a tiny post way at the very bottom of the list. It looked pathetic and lost in the sea of other notices.
But then.... here's the really great part that still makes my heart sing:
The very next day I receive an email with the subject line: lost Orangutan. The email reads: "I think I have Him!!!! I found a sweet little
primate on Hwy 56 in front of my house.....he is missing an eye. I posted
him on my facebook hoping to find his owner. I will attach a picture. Oh
I hope he is yours. He has been so sad without his family." And right there with the email was a picture of our Rang sitting on this nice lady's dashboard.

5 comments:
I LOVE this proof of goodness and magic in the world. Welcome home, Rang!
Okay. Seriously. This made me cry. Because I saw her post when she found him and my heart broke remembering how we felt when we lost a treasured friend. (That story is here if you're curious: http://lusaorganics.typepad.com/clean/2009/01/silence.html ) I'm so glad he came home! What an amazing story.
WOW! This really made me tear up. My daughter was the one who found him. She knew he must be missed..so glad he found his way home. You all live in a vey special part of the country where people take notice if orphan stuffed animals on the road..Chicago?...not so much, although this story will make me stop
So sweet! The very kind woman who found him is my friend. She did post him to face book and seeing his picture it was clear that he had seen some good love.Makes me happy he found his way home :)
I love this story, thanks!
Post a Comment