Monday, January 28, 2013

weekending

 Early morning german pancakes, always a good start to a weekend.
And then, by the fire I watched Iris read to Mae and I found myself worrying that maybe when she really learns to read, she won't read so much.  I so love these long sessions of snuggling, just the two of them, while Mae hangs on every word that Iris reads/remembers/creates.  So sweet it is.
Fun and snuggles by the fire aside, we installed the "project desk" late last week and settled into it this weekend.  I still need to thrift a couple of desk lamps and maybe a few more baskets for holding odd art materials, but in the meantime it's ready to roll.  The girls took to it right away, crafting, drawing, creating as usual, but now in their own space instead of the middle of our dining room table.  I loved having them at the dining room table, right in the thick of things.  The trouble was, just as artistic creation began to reach its height, it was invariably time for dinner and the creation had to be cleared (and was seldom picked back up).  Oh how I know that feeling, its hard to get back in the groove once you've been interrupted.  So we found space for a rather long desk (you can't be crowded by a sister when you are doing important work) tucked into our already cozy study.  But it feels just right there.  Art materials, and books and all kinds of inspiration.
To help that inspiration along the girls and I did a quick bulletin board project.  A few squares of cork, some hot gun glue, thumbtacks and buttons now
make for an easy place at the project desk to pin art, scraps, ideas, and whims.
We also relocated the dress up hooks under the shelf at the base of stairs that lead to my little studio space.  A few tote bags on tree branch hooks and the space was instantly more organized.  Ah.
Further weekend adventures found us in Houston MN, picking up our wool from Mary at English Gardens Fiber Mill.  She was kind enough to give us a tour.  She even showed us how to skirt a fleece properly (I've still got a lot to learn!). 
Our two little sheep brought us over 35 hanks of yarn this year.  Beautiful dark and light heathers, a combination of the wool from our black sheep, Robin, and our white sheep, Primrose.  My mom and I will split the yarn and she'll likely get right to work!  Iris and I are eager to try our hand at dying some of the wool this year.  Apparently these heathered yarns take well to dyes and Iris already has her eye on a shade of blue just like Pelle's. 
Last year's yarn was knitted up into these two gorgeous sweaters by that amazing Nonnie.  The girls seem to really feel the magic of wearing clothes made from their own sheep's wool and they pull these sweaters from their closet quite often.  
As for me, like most projects around here, progress is slow, but row by row....Andy may too have a vest from our sheep's wool one day.  
Have a wonderful week all. 

1 comment:

Mrs. Bates said...

We have that book "Ox Cart Man" at our house. It was a favorite when the boys were younger. Your blog is a constant source of inspiration and joy. Keep it up.
Candy