Monday, April 6, 2015

the easter magic

  dying easter eggs with onion skins
On Saturday evening as we were preparing for bed, Mae turned to me and said "Mama, who is the Easter Bunny?"   
Really, right now, on the eve of the Easter Bunny magic we are going to talk about this?
"Um", I stumbled, "What do you think sweetie?" 
"I think it's you and papa.  Is it?"  
More stumbling and mumbling about magic.  And then with one lame last stab at hope, "Yes, Papa and I share the magic with the Easter Bunny."
"So, is it you?" 
Ugh, my heart was hurting. "Yes."
But her response was smiles and giggles and hugs.  Not unlike her sister's last year when she found out about the Christmas magic and nailed us down.  When she learned the truth she giggled and said "You rascals!"and then proceeded to ask about every last thing she could ever remember getting from Santa.  Yes, yes, and yes.  And then she said "You guys do too much for us."  Seriously.

I remember vividly when I found out about Santa.  It was spring, I was probably 7 or 8  and had just gotten off the school bus.  Something in me really needed to know that day so I asked my mom and she told me.  Then I asked about the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy and it all came crashing down.  I was devastated.  We are talking tears, not giggles and delight in all they had done for me.

Our girls response leaves me mystified and thankful.  Like many parents there was a part of me that wasn't so sure about the "big lie".  But I believed in the delight of the magic, the nature of children to be held by the good, the sweetness of it all.  I believed they would understand that we told these stories out of love and generosity (just like the spirit of Christmas).  
I can't help some personal sadness that the magic is now over, our youngest is in.  She hasn't asked yet about Santa and the Tooth Fairy but it's right around the corner and she hasn't even lost her first tooth.  They tell me that's the way with younger siblings, the magic never lasts as long.
   As I reflect I realize that my sadness in watching childhood roll on is her joy in getting bigger and growing up.  Today she rode her two-wheeler without training wheels with eyes shining and pride positively glowing from her smile.  "Look at me Mama, I'm doing it!"

Yes you are, and we are watching.

No comments: