Sixteen years ago I married my best friend and lover. I don't care if that's cliche, he was that, and so much more. We'd been together four years before we officially tied the knot. It's now been almost twenty years since I met this man. This man that changed my life in so many incredible ways.
Our wedding day on the shore of Lake Superior was beautiful. Hemmed in by rain and clouds that lifted just long enough to let the sun shine on our vows. These vows that we wrote and said to eachother so privately, with only our two best friends and the guy we hired to make it official, standing by. I remember there was a part of us that felt these oaths, and the ceremony of marriage, was superfluous, that we didn't need this formality to complete our love, to cement it in place, to declare it to the world. But yet something drove us to this ancient right, to make a union not just of one another, but of our family and friends through our formal commitment to one another.
My vow to him:
Before we met I was waiting for you.
I don't think I knew it then, but as I came to know your love and the kindness and patience that is the essence of you- I understood a little of what the rain feels meeting the earth, what the Redtail feels with the sky beneath its wings-fully at home, complete.
As I watch you light the lives of so many and I am proud and humbled in your presence. Your grace and your unselfish heart lead you so well. My restless being is blessed with the gifts you bring. You are the kind, wise and watchful keeper of my fire and I promise always the spark to light our way.
I am giddy with the sweetness of our love.
I am comforted in the strength of our friendship.
I know that in the hours life leaves us naked, we will play for each other the music of hope.
Together we have built a life that is strong and simple and so full of love. Each day I open my heart and lay down a gift of thanks for all we've been given. I wish for us a life's journey that is rich in wonder and joy.
Today good friend and keeper of all my heart's secrets, I am honored to join my life to yours. I love you.
October 25, 2003
When I read those words today I know that we gave every moment our full hearts. We were present with one another in ways I'd never been with anyone. Our love grew and grew until life left us naked, and then we played for eachother the music of hope. We truly did.
And today I know that we had a life's journey rich in wonder and joy. So much wonder and joy. And it was enough.
Good friend, I was so honored to join my life to yours. I would do it again and again. I love you.





2 comments:
What a wonderful story you shared with us! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!
Heartbreakingly beautiful. That place of essence, deep within, joining one soul to another -- so powerful, so infinite. You two were blessed with one another.
Post a Comment