Dear Iris,
You've been 13 for almost a month now. I've been stalling writing this post, because, well, holy shit, you are a teenager and that kinda floors me. I'm still catching my breath. It seems like that happened in a heartbeat, and yet, it's taken a long time.
You've experienced so much in your 13 years. You've got more history, wisdom and resilence than a lot of people twice your age. I watch you helping others, loving the children, taking care of your animals, using your humor, being witty, being creative, and being strong and I am full of pride and love for you. I want to say your dad is too, because he is. I know this.
My hope for you is that wherever you go you know that life is not easy, but that it can be full of beauty and joy. That people care about you. That you have so much worth. That you can always ask for what you need and speak your truth. That you have wisdom to share, that you are a gifted teacher, friend and mentor. That struggle is everywhere, for all of us, and sometimes it can make the sun seem brighter.
You bring your compassion, empathy and big love to this world, making it a better place. You are so loved and I am so lucky to be by your side.
Mom

No comments:
Post a Comment