Sunday, January 25, 2009

ten good things

I've always kept something of a journal but I've never been good at recording the details of life that might mark time and give a sense of history to a reader in years to come. Mostly I scribble thoughts, worries, dreams...things that might not even make sense two weeks from now, much less twenty years.

If this blog stands the test of time (and can be magically accessed twenty years from now when technology will be something we can't even yet imagine) I think the pictures might mean the most to my family. Snapshots of what was meaningful in that little moment. I'm loving the fact that since I started keeping the blog I find myself paying attention to tiny, sunny, delightful little moments. Where's the camera? Things I very well might not have noticed before. How she left the doll snuggled just so in its carefully made bed, the way the afternoon sun keeps drawing my eye to the emerging bulbs on the windowsill, the brilliance of old crab apples hanging on the bare branches.

This weekend there was much to notice. And so,

ten good things:

1. How she wants to do all the things Papa can do. And works hard at it.

2. How she hollers "go! go! go" as they scream down the hill.

3. The never-give-up spirit this dog has for digging. Anywhere, anytime.

4. Lemons in January. O.K. so they are tiny, but we all started somewhere.

5. How the shelves we built for display (we were thinking books and art) now hold the tools of her play.

6. The party she left in favor of a nap.

7. The energy he spent to warm our days and nights.

8. The new obsession. Chalk. Good thing Papa can draw Little Elf and Larch- her constant request.

9. Baby hats.

10. Two girls out for a walk. Time alone.

1 comment:

Ellie, Jeff, Wyatt and Sam said...

Very nice post, it almost made me cry!! Not that it's hard to make me cry in my current condition but I still love it. Thanks for sharing!