
I think it must always be hard to prepare yourself for loss. No matter how long, or how good the life has been. I remember the day he was born. I memorized every inch of his body, every rhythm of his gait, every stubborn twitch of his head. I lived and breathed this horse for so many years. Good, long, healthy years. And I knew one day he would leave. I've worried the last few winters that he'd get ill, stop eating, need vet care and that I might need to make a decision about ending his life. But in typical Dakota fashion, he was frisky one morning, and gone the next. I didn't get to say good-bye and I am heartbroken, but I know a blessing when I see one. It's hard to adjust to life without him after 28 years, but I take heart in the fact that one day my little girl may be gifted with the friendship and true love of HORSE. The way only a girl and her horse can.



Thank you for all the amazing memories and so much love.
5 comments:
Sorry to hear of Dakota's passing. Sending you our love. ~ Carin, Charlie, Lila & little man
So sorry Jonel! I think I saw Dakota using the new barn when I stopped by in the new year- seemed content there. Must feel strange to look outside and not see your old friend. Be well.
Jonel, Sorry to read the sad news. Sounds like Dakota had a lot of good years, and you have a lot of good memories. Sorry he had to go, but his memory will always be there.
Take care,
Dan
So sorry for your loss. I still remember putting our family dog Biscuit to sleep. Even though she was ready to go, it was hard for us to let her go. Sending much love your way.
It's nice to read your thoughts Jonel even though the news is so sad. Having such a long and wonderful relationship with another creature is an amazing gift and blessing, as you said. We all should be so lucky. Thinking of you. Love, mary
Post a Comment