So, I've been making some kind of rhubarb cobbler, crisp or cake at least weekly (believe me I'd indulge this love more frequently if I had time). I've been experimenting a little too. Since pies take too much time for this new baby household, I came up with something that takes a fraction of the time but almost satisfies the pie urge completely. Let's call it the tart-crisp. Adapted from two recipes in one of my favorite cookbooks "Simply in Season", it seems to raise the happiness level in this house at least 10 notches. Here it is, in case you need a little ruby red happiness.
For the shortbread tart crust:
1 cup flour (I use whole wheat pastry)
1/3 cup butter
2 tablespoons powered sugar
In a mixing bowl, mix together until crumbly, with no pieces bigger than a pea. Press into pie pan.
Top the shortbread crust with lots of chopped rhubarb (maybe 3 cups, I never measure). If you are afraid of too tart, mix the chopped rhubarb with a bit of sugar before pouring it into the pie pan.
Top the rhubarb with this:
3/4 flour (again I use whole wheat pastry)
3/4 cup rolled oats
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons oil
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup nus (optional)
Mix until crumbly, evenly sprinkle over rhubarb. Bake in preheated oven at 375 until fruit bubbles and top is golden brown, usually about 30 minutes.
Top all of this with real whip cream sweetened lightly with maple syrup. For a fun kid activity pour the whip cream and maple syrup in a pint jar (leave about an inch at the top) and let the kids shake it until it's thick! No washing the beaters!
Enjoy.
No comments:
Post a Comment